Shannon Rowe is just your average home decorating enthusiast with a flair for beautifying the home she and her husband live in. With a passion for decor, religion, and finding the best bargains in town, she’s just like so many of us.
And that’s what makes her blog, Bless Our Nest, so charming and so popular. Her readers relate to her, and when Shannon opens up her home to all of us, we respond in kind.
In fact, Shannon enjoys meeting other bloggers and decorators in her area. Her wholesome personality is magnetic, and because of that, we thought she would be a great person to chat with here at Decor Medley.
Please sit back and enjoy our talk with Shannon this holiday season!
1. Hi Shannon, thank you for joining us today and being patient during the busy holidays. Please take this moment to introduce yourself to our readers and tell them all about your blog.
Thank you. I feel very honored that you asked me to answer a few questions. My name is Shannon and my blog is Bless Our Nest. I have been married for 4 and 1/2 years and really enjoy making our house a home. I love shopping for our home but more importantly, I love getting a great deal.
2. Your blog makes it clear you are very religious, and here we are just days away from Christmas.
What is your favorite holiday to decorate for, and why?
I love decorating for all the main holidays and seasons such as Valentine’s Day, Spring, Easter, 4th of July, Fall, Halloween, and Christmas. My favorite time of year to decorate is Christmas though because I love celebrating the Real Reason for the Season.
3. Speaking of holidays, Thanksgiving just passed. The day after, decorators rejoice because of all the incredible sales at retailers. Did you pick up any good bargains on Black Friday, and if so, what did you get?
This year was my first Black Friday experience. It was great! My mom and I got up at 4am and were at the stores by 5am. We got some great deals but my favorite deal was the BOGO potted, pre-lit Christmas trees from Walgreen’s. We got two for twenty dollars! I plan on going every year.
4. Let’s talk bargains. So many bloggers we interview are expert bargain hunters, finding hidden gems at garage sales, thrift shops, and eBay. Is this something you do too, and if so, what is your approach to finding low-cost, yet high-quality, decor?
I love finding a great bargain! My tips to anyone who wanted to start thrift shopping is to get out there and find the good stores. Your town might have several thrift shops but there is usually one or two that are the “good” ones.
Also, you need to find some good flea markets and antique malls. The inventory in these places are constantly changing so you are sure to find a good deal.
My last tip is that you need to go pretty regularly. New items come in every day so you might want to go every year. As for finding high quality decor you probably need to think outside the box. Look at the shape and size of something, not necessarily the color. You can always change the color!
5. A photo of you and your husband proudly adorns your blog. What is your husband’s take toward your decorating hobby?
Does he let you decorate the home as you please, or does he get heavily involved with his opinions?
My husband’s take on my decorating is generally pretty laid back. He lets me do (for the most part) whatever I want to the house. Every now and then he has a strong opinion about something I want to do and I always listen to his advice. He is usually right! He definitely likes the fact that I rarely buy anything for full price.
6. One nice perk from blogging is the opportunity to meet other people who share your interests. You recently met up with Jules from The Roost, who is from your neck of the woods. How has blogging improved your life, and how have your experiences been overall meeting people on the Internet who also love home decor?
My favorite part of blogging is meeting new people. I love finding people who live in my area too. Jules and I have plans soon to meet for lunch and I think that is the best part. The people in the blogging community are so kind and generous! I have been sent several things from people who saw something at a store and just thought I would like it. We love supporting other women who are trying to “feather their nest” and make their home more beautiful.
7. Shannon, thanks so much for talking to us this holiday season. For this last question, please tell us what was it that first got you so hooked on home decor and what made you decide to make it such a big part of your life?
I do not remember what got me hooked on home decor but I can always remember re-arranging my room when I was a child or spending more time decorating the doll house than playing with the dolls. My friends laugh at the fact that when I was 16 I got a new picture for my bedroom walls for my birthday. That is what I wanted! I guess home decor and decorating has always been a part of my life.
Our sincere thanks goes out to Shannon for spending some time with us during the busy holidays and sharing some tips with us. For more advice and lovely photographs of her home decor, please be sure to check out Bless Our Nest and say Hello. Merry Christmas Shannon, and have a great new year.