If you’re looking for a truly unique way to add personal decor to your home, nothing beats collage art. And for collage art, no one is better than Claudine Hellmuth.
Collage art is great because it brings out your true personality and it’s not something you see in everyone else’s house. A collage piece would truly stand out in your home or office, and it’s a fantastic idea (especially around Christmas time, hint hint).
Claudine is the expert on collage art, so going to her for your collage needs means that you’re in good hands and won’t be disappointed.
Claudine is here with us today, so let’s hear what she has to say. After the interview be sure to check her out at www.collageartist.com. Let’s go!
1. Claudine, we’re happy to have you here today and we thank you for your time. Please use this first question to tell us about your websites and services that you have to offer.
I am excited to be here too! Thank you so much for having me! My business has a few facets, I teach workshops, write books, I have a product line (Claudine Hellmuth Studio) of acrylic paints and mediums. I create illustrations for companies, and I create custom artworks for clients using their photos! Whew!
2. Collage art makes a great decorative piece for the home or for special occasions and parties. What has been the feedback from some of your customers about how your collage art has added to the decor of their homes? And in what ways do you personally believe it adds to someone’s home decor?
For my custom artworks, I’ll often match the colors of the artwork to the customer’s decor. They send me color swatches or photos of their homes so I can make the colors blend with their room. Often times the client has a specific place in mind for the artwork. I think that my clients are drawn to my to my work because it is so highly personalized combining their photos, ideas, as well as colors to integrate the design into their decor.
3. Obviously no one collage works for everyone. Each person (or family) has his/her own distinct style. In what ways are you able to bring out each customer’s unique personality through your art? Does it require a fairly deep understanding of the person, or do you find your customers generally have the same style?
I find that there is a certain person who is drawn to my artwork and wants to have my artwork in their home. I do work with the client to incorporate the personalities into the work, I have an extensive question form that I ask the client to fill out when I start the artwork and then we often email back and forth until I am sure I have the concept and direction of the piece just right.
4. You’re a proud animal lover and pet owner. Personally, I feel collage art for a pet makes an excellent addition to their living space. Do some of your customers request collages for their pets, and if so, how have you found that experience to be different?
I love creating artworks just for client’s and their pets. There really is no difference to me when I am creating a work with just pets in it or pets and people. Often times clients who are having artwork with just pets in it allow me to be a little more whimsical with the theme and colors.
5. You’re fortunate enough to make a living doing what you love. It is rare to find artists actually get paid well for their art, and we commend you for talents and marketing savvy. What do you believe has been most beneficial to getting your business off the ground? Is it mainly word of mouth? Has the internet helped, and how helpful were your appearances on HGTV and Martha Stewart?
I would say all of the above has been crucial to growing and maintaining my business. No one thing by itself does the whole job. The internet is so important to my business and has gone a long way to getting my name out there. Through the internet I have filled my workshops, gotten book deals, DVDs, TV appearances, etc etc. So If I had to pick the one thing that has helped my business the most I would have to say having a strong internet presence.
6. Your job sounds like a lot of fun, but certainly you must feel some pressure to deliver a product that your customer will be pleased with. After spending so many hours on someone’s collage, how does it make you feel when the customer is truly happy and touched by what you’ve done for them?
Oh there is no better feeling than that! Some clients send me photos of the artwork in their homes or with their families. There is nothing more thrilling than knowing that a client loves the work that you created for them!
7. Claudine, thanks again for taking time out to speak with us. For our last question, please tell us what it was that first got you excited about art and collage art in particular? We wish you continued success in bringing joy to people’s lives.
I have been making art since I could put finger paints to paper so I have always loved creating! I first started creating collage in high school and continued collaging even when getting my BFA. It wasn’t until my Senior year in art school that I began concentrating on collage exclusively. I love working paint, papers, photos and drawing. The great thing about collage is that you can do it all!!
Congratulations to Claudine to carving out a niche and making the most of it. She brings a lot of joy to a lot of people, and you can’t ask for more than that.
Thanks to Claudine for the interview, and make sure you check out her blog and websites today. Have fun and go get a collage!