Gwendolyn Grabman can honestly say she has “A Charming Home.” That’s because it’s the name of her heartwarming blog, and wouldn’t you know it, she really DOES have a charming home!
That is, if you find wonderfully creative Christmas decorations charming, or her handmade crafts that she makes from scratch, or even her very generous giveaways that readers like you can win if it’s your lucky day.
Gwendolyn represents so many of us, and that’s why we like her and that’s why we asked her to share an interview with Decor Medley. Please have a seat and let’s have a chat, shall we, with Gwendolyn and her charming home!
1. Hi Gwendolyn, please take a moment to tell us about yourself and your blog, “A Charming Home,” and anything else you’d like us to know about.
I am 45 years old, but only for one more month, then I hit 46. Where did the time go? I have been married for 23 years to my best friend. I have a son who is 22 and a step daughter who is 31, also 3 grandsons from her. I have a creative streak. I used to belong to scrap blog and that was fun, but when I found blogging, I knew I had found my niche. I started “A Charming Home” thinking it would be a place I would put tips and hints on how to have one. It has become so much more to me.
2. The first thing someone would notice about “A Charming Home” is that your posts are deeply religious. Being that we are a home decor site, please tell us how your religion plays a part in your own home decor.
I have never thought of my posts that way. I just simply post what I am thinking and feeling, I am a Christian, and I hang onto my faith, it has gotten me through some rough patches in my life. I like to share with others in the hopes that it blesses them in some way. I honestly don’t have too many “religious ” things in my home. But on our front porch I do have some things, that let people know before they enter, that this is a Christian home.
3. It’s obvious that Christmas is perhaps your favorite holiday to decorate for. Being that you pride yourself on your creativity, what are some other holidays you especially enjoy decorating for.
Yes, I do love Christmas! I wish it lasted longer. I used to decorate for Thanksgiving with gourds and such, but now I skip that and go right for Christmas, beginning in November. I put a few things out for Halloween fun, cute, not scary. Other than that, I don’t do much else, except decorate for the seasons of spring and summer.
4. I’m sure you’ve been asked this quite often, but please tell us how you developed your love for the color pink. I must say, you do a great job of incorporating pink into your decor!
Who doesn’t love pink? I probably fell in love with it, when I was old enough to put on some lipstick and blush, oddly enough. I really only have it in our guest bedroom. It is a bit shabby chic, a bit Victorian. I put all the pretty pinks in there. I do participate in “Pink Saturday” in the blogging world. It was started and is hosted by Beverly from “How Sweet the Sound.” People share something pink with each other every Saturday.
5. You make so many beautiful arts and crafts, each of which takes time, attention, and hard work. When you give this as a gift to someone else, how does it feel when the recipient accepts your piece of art? Does the person’s appreciation make it all worthwhile, and is it more rewarding than giving a gift you simply buy from the store?
As I mentioned earlier, I have a creative streak in me. I believe it comes from my mother. I can remember her doing crafts while I grew up. I have always loved to create things. When I was young I loved to draw. Now I enjoy working with papers and yarn and beads and such.
Absolutely I think it is better to give a homemade gift than a store bought. I know I appreciate receiving them, it makes me feel good to think that someone thought enough of me to take the time to make something with their hands for me, and I hope that my recipients feel the same way. It is a great feeling when you have made something and the recipient loves it!
6. Something a lot of our readers might be interested in is some of the giveaways you do on your blog. What is it about these giveaways that you enjoy, and how has your reader response to them been?
I have always believed it is better to give than to receive. I just get a joy out of sharing and giving. My blog readers are so gracious to sign up for my give aways, especially when it is something I have made. I am not the only one who does give aways, there are many giving , caring bloggers out there who do the same.
7. Being that your blog is relatively new, how have you been enjoying blogging thus far? Have you made any new friends, and how do you like writing about your home life and broadcasting it to the world?
I am addicted! I absolutely love to blog now. I get to be creative everyday if I choose.. In fact I now have a total of 3 blogs. The other two are accessible on my side bar. I have made so many wonderful friends! Some have become very special to me. Even though we only know each other through blogging, I feel like I have met them in person. I love writing about my home, my thoughts, crafts, ideas. I do try not to get too personal on it. I also always try to keep my posts upbeat and positive.
8. Gwendolyn, thank you so much for doing this interview with us today. For this last question, please tell us about some of your goals and home projects you have in store for 2010? Is there anything new you’d like to try, and do you have any new ideas for things you’d like to do?
In the coming year I do have a few plans and ideas. We are planning on remodeling our bathroom. Of course that would be shared on the blog. Also I want to plant a Hydrangea garden. I plan on doing some cross stitching,and some sewing And I am always looking for new and creative things to blog about.
Many thanks go out to Gwendolyn for offering her time today, and we hope you enjoyed meeting her. Please remember to stop by “A Charming Home,” and say Hello. We hope Gwendolyn enjoys her Christmas, and we sure can’t wait to see photos from it. Remember to watch out for her regular giveaways, and please check out everything there is to offer at “A Charming Home.”