Mantel decorations offer you the opportunity to let your imagination run free because there is no limit when it comes to decorating your fireplace mantel.
Since the fireplace is a natural focal point in a room, decorating it with the perfect accessories is a great way to make an impact for the whole room.
The hearth also brings to mind images of romantic and cozy moments sitting in front of the fireplace while having an intimate conversation, spending quality time with loved ones, carrying out the annual family tradition of hanging Christmas stockings, and curling up on the couch with a good book.
There are many different decorating options for your fireplace mantel that you may become overwhelmed by the choices.
However, striking the right balance is the key when decorating a fireplace mantel because you don’t want to overdo it.
The idea is to have a nice assortment of interesting yet lovely decorative accessories that reflect your personality and are dear to your heart.
- Keep the decorative accessories to scale and proportion
- Display items that are personal to you, such as family heirlooms, pictures, and anything you treasure or find interesting
- Vary the size, height, and shape of the items
Keep the Decorative Accessories with Detail to Scale and Proportion
When selecting accessories for your mantel decorations, consider items that compliment the overall scale and proportion of the mantel.
If you keep the accessories to scale and proportion, the result will be a balanced look between the accessories and the size of the fireplace and mantel.
Display Items that are Personal
Consider displaying items that represent your family history and anything you deem charming or interesting. It could be a family heirloom passed down from generation to generation, a collection of souvenirs, or something symbolic of your belief system or appreciation for nature. The idea is to display things that are representative of you, your family, friends, and beloved pets.
If you choose to display photographs, do not be too concerned about the size or dimensions of the photos. Rather, choose pictures of cherished moments. Using a photo mat will enhance the overall look of your photo and give it an artistic look.
Vary the Sizes, Heights, and Shapes of the Items
Another concept to consider when decorating a fireplace mantel is to choose items of varying sizes, heights, and shapes. By varying the sizes, heights, and shapes of the items, you will achieve a nice balance between the accessories, the fireplace, and the mantel.
One way to add height to your fireplace mantel is to display candles and candle holders that accent the color of the room. If you would like to add depth and natural lines, consider displaying plants.
Mantel decorations consist of the following items:
- African Tribal Masks (displayed on a stand)
- Bird Cages
- Bird Sculptures
- Candles and Candle Holders of Varying Heights
- Decorative Bowl with Decorative Accent Balls
- Decorative Box
- Decorative Finial
- Decorative Plate on an Easel
- Decorative Urn
- Faux Book Boxes
- Faux Flowers inside a Vase
- Horse Sculptures (i.e. Tang Horse)
- Mantel Clock
- Mantel Cover (i.e. lace)
- Mantel Swag
- Picture Frames
- Spiral Topiary or Triple Ball Boxwood Topiary
- Table Lamp
- Wire Basket with Decorative Accent Balls
- Wooden Phrase Sign, such as “Believe” or “Dream”
Decorations for Above the Fireplace Mantel
- Black and White Photography
- Candle Wall Sconces
- Mirror (may be one mirror or a three panel mirror)
- Oil Painting
- Picture Frames (arranged as a collage or displayed as one large picture)
- Vinyl Lettering Quote
- Wall Frieze
- Wall Panels
- Wall Plaque
Putting it All Together
I have outlined various ideas to help you decorate your fireplace mantel.
- On the far left of the mantel, consider placing an ornate picture frame that features a treasured photo.
- In the center of the mantel, place a faux triple boxwood topiary that is inside an urn.
- On the far right of the mantel, place a couple of faux books stacked on top of one another (the largest size sits on the bottom) and place a figurine on top of the books (such as, a bird sculpture).
- Above the fireplace, place a mirror with two candle wall sconces on the opposite sides of the mirror.
- On the far left of the mantel, display a bird cage (smaller cage than the cage on the far right of the mantel) along with a bird sculpture in front of it.
- In the center of the mantel, display a faux floral arrangement.
- On the far right, display a bird cage that is larger than the one on the far left of the mantel, along with a bird sculpture in front of it.
- Above the fireplace, hang a framed piece of art consisting of a scene from nature.
- On the far left of the mantel, place a decorative bowl containing decorative accent balls.
- In the center of the mantel, display a Tang horse sculpture.
- On the far right of the mantel,place a faux plant that is set inside a lovely urn.
- Above the fireplace, hang a mirror